This past weekend we went on a four-day horse pack trip into the Bob Marshall Wilderness area of Montana called the “Danaher”. We covered about 45 miles.
Essential Oil Bottles
Not wanting to be parted with my essential oils for this length of time, I assembled a “Back Country Survival Kit”. This kit includes:
- Mosquito repellent
- Allergy – Inhaler
- Pain & deep bruising relief
- Sore Muscle blend
- Sleep and Restless leg blend
- Constipation blend
- Cold and Flu stock bottle
- Hand Cleanser in Aloe Vera Gel
- For carriers, I included 1 oz. of Jojoba Oil and 2 oz. of Unscented Lotion
I also took along a bottle each of Spike Lavender (Lavandula latifolia) Essential Oil and Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) Essential Oil. Spike Lavender Essential Oil is great for instant spot relief of bug bites (heat) and Peppermint Essential Oil is great for instant bloating/nausea relief and sunburn relief.
Wild roses were abundant
The following is a very effective mosquito repellent that we had the opportunity to test!
- 20 drops of Cedarwood (Juniperus virginiana) Essential Oil
- 15 drops of Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii var. Motia) Essential Oil
- 15 drops of Eucalyptus Citriodora (Eucalyptus citriodora) Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin) Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) Essential Oil
- 2 oz. of Catnip Hydrosol (Nepeta cataria)
- 2 oz. of Peppermint Hydrosol (Mentha x piperita)
- 20-30 drops of Solubol (Dispersant)
- 1 PET bottles with spray caps
- Combine the essential oils with the peppermint and catnip hydrosol in a PET plastic spray bottle
- Add the Solubol (Dispersant) and shake gently to blend
- Use throughout the day as needed
- Spray often!
One of the highlights of my trip was rocking in the hammock reading: Awaken to Healing Fragrance, by Elizabeth Anne Jones. It was so fun to read about how Hatshepsut, Cleopatra, and Esther might have used essential oils. (Eight more women to go!)
Wow! What a weekend. If I can just burn this experience into memory and remember the beauty, peace, and solitude on a not-so-beautiful day. Thank you for sharing my experience!
Please share your experience with essential oils in the “back country”, whether its hiking, camping, backpacking or horse packing.
Questions or comments?! Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org!