When we feel lethargic, it’s difficult to motivate ourselves to exercise. This is a significant issue as exercise is a very important strategy in combating Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Since SAD is caused by decreased exposure to sunlight which affects our serotonin levels, I recommend walking outside every day, even if merely for 15 minutes at a time.
When walking among the conifers and other forest plants and trees, we benefit from the amazing energetic properties of the trees. This meditative experience can help restore balance in our emotional system. According to Mojay, pine is psychologically fortifying. He further states that pine oil opens the chest, instills positivity and helps to restore self-confidenceâ€¦disperses melancholy and counteracts pessimism, working to reawaken our instinctive connection to life.
The wood or trunk of a tree conducts water and nutrients from the roots to its leaves, stems, and flowers. Oils that are extracted from wood can help conduct energy, provide balance, and give us a better sense of core support. These oils can help us connect to our center in a deeper way. The aroma of most conifers is invigorating and uplifting. These refreshing properties help to build stamina and encourage motivation.
Pine needles allow the tree to breathe. They also protect the tree from water loss and support photosynthesis. Interestingly enough, pine oils can help us breathe easier just as needles help the trees! We can use pine oils to support respiration, deeper breathing, and the breath of life. These oils can also protect us, both emotionally and physically, from infection and disturbing energy. Leaf and needle oils support mental expansion and creativity. We gather valuable energy from these amazing oils.
Here is a lovely and effective blend in Jojoba oil that smells amazing and gives us that extra energy boost, combating fatigue.
An Energizing Hike
- 8 drops of Norway Pine Oil
- 4 drops of Cedarwood Oil
- 2 drops of Peppermint Oil
- 6 drops of Lime Oil
- 1 oz. of Jojoba Oil
- 1 Glass bottle w/coned cap
Directions: Place the drops in 1 ounce of Jojoba Oil (or another carrier of choice) and apply throughout the day for a rejuvenating energy boost. Apply to the back of your neck, the insides of your wrists, and on your temples. Keep beside your bed and take deep breaths in the morning when you don’t feel like getting out of bed.
- Norway Pine Oil (Pinus resinosa) – is an immune tonic that has proven to be an excellent support to the body’s health. This oil has also been used as an adrenal gland tonic, and helps us stay healthy during times of stress, excessive work, and transition. It is a great benefit in enhancing circulation in the legs and helping to alleviate leg fatigue.
- Cedarwood Oil (Juniperus virginiana) – has deep woody notes that boost emotional strength and stability. Cedarwood increases strength and endurance during difficult times and is very grounding.
- Peppermint Oil (Mentha x piperita) – has lovely cooling properties and awakens the mind. It supports creativity and combats fatigue by uplifting and stimulating the mind.
- Lime Oil (Citrus aurantifolia) – is a delightfully refreshing oil. It brings relief from fatigue, anxiety, and the general sense of discomfort related to illness. Lime brings sunshine and light to fight feelings of depression: a wonderfully uplifting boost for our emotions!
Other “Joy in January” blogs :
1) Battaglia S. The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy. 2nd edition, The International Centre of Holistic Aromatherapy, Australia, 2003
2) Mojay G. Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit, Henry Holt and Company Inc., England, 1996
Questions or comments?! Please email us at: email@example.com!