Are you looking for some easy ways to incorporate hydrosols into your aromatherapy practice? In this blog post, I’m excited to share a few of my favorite hydrosols and suggestions on how to begin using them today!
1. Helichrysum Hydrosol is wonderful for:
- The treatment of cuts, wounds, bruising, and pain
- Skin care applications: this hydrosol helps to heal most skin conditions
- The treatment of incisions after any kind of surgery
- Daily use as a mouthwash
- The treatment of animals with skin conditions
Helichrysum Tip: Spray Helichrysum hydrosol on sunspots or “liver spots” to greatly fade the darkened areas. When used as a toner on the face and body, it can help control skin irritations and skin infections. Great for healing the skin!
2. Peppermint Hydrosol and Spearmint Hydrosol are two hydrosols I can’t live without! I like to spray them on my face and neck but my favorite use is to put 1-2 teaspoons of peppermint or spearmint hydrosol in my water bottle for sipping throughout the day. The resulting mint-flavored water is incredibly refreshing, excellent for digestion, mentally stimulating, and a rejuvenating “wake-up” beverage!
- Peppermint is most famous for its digestive, anti-inflammatory, and mind-stimulating properties
- Individuals suffering from Crohn’s disease, colitis, and irritable bowel syndrome have reported success with this hydrosol
3. Bay Laurel Hydrosol is remarkable as a cleansing and toning agent for the lymphatic system. Its taste is warm, spicy, and delicious. When experiencing pain associated with a congested lymphatic system and lymph node swelling, I undertake this three-week Internal Protocol that has been recommended by Suzanne Catty in her book Hydrosols: The Next Aromatherapy.
- Take 2 Tbsp of Bay Laurel Hydrosol and add to a water bottle, sipping throughout the day
- Do this for 3 weeks and then stop for 7 days.
- If at the end of 7 days the swelling and pain are gone, there is no need to do another 3 weeks.
- However, if there is still a problem, continue for 21 more days.
- Caution: Bay Laurel should not be ingested if there is a cancer diagnosis.
When using Bay Laurel for Lymph node swelling I have noticed relief within 2 days!
Bay Laurel Leaves
4. Rose Centifolia Hydrosol and Rose Damascena Hydrosol are hydrosols that I put on every day. I love their sweet aromas and healing skin properties. Rose hydrosol has been known for many generations to be a wonderful toner for the skin. It is an excellent moisturizer for dry/mature skin.
Below are some of the great properties of rose hydrosols:
- They promote emotional balance and a sense of well-being.
- They can be used on their own as perfumes or in combination with essential oils.
- Moist, cool floral scent and taste.
- Hormone Balancer
- Have postmenopausal applications
- They balance the endocrine system
- Support for combating PMS, cramps, and moodiness
- Uplifting & relaxing
- Can be used in a sitz bath for postpartum healing.
- Mildly antiseptic
- They support clear-headed decision making
Other ways I use hydrosols:
- When making face and body creams, I substitute the water portion with hydrosols.
- Room and sheet sprays
- Cleaning countertops
More ideas in Part 2! Be sure and share the different ways you use hydrosols!
Catty, Suzanne. Hydrosols, The Next Aromatherapy. Vermont: Healing Arts Press. 2001.