Looking for a rejuvenating vacation, Larry and I headed into the heart of the Bob Marshall Wilderness area on a 5-day horse pack trip. Setting up camp in the Basin, we became immersed in the wilderness and enjoyed being with the plants, trees, rivers, and flowers.
While we were relishing in our surroundings, I was happy to see an abundant supply of Yarrow (Anchillea millefolium) growing in the meadows of this remote backcountry. Yarrow is an amazing plant and a fabulous essential oil! It is vibrant and resilient, thriving in both harsh and lush environments. One morning as I was exploring a rocky creek bank, I was pleasantly surprised to see a healthy Yarrow plant growing. The Yarrow plant was placed where the spring run-off has little mercy. It was amazing to see it thriving in such conditions! The Yarrow plant is strong and gentle at the same time. It has a hard, strong outer stem and a soft substance inside the stem. I often take reading material on my trips and had the book The Blossoming Heart, by Robbi Zeck, N.D. Curious what her perspective was on Yarrow I was delighted to see that we had the same thoughts on this incredible plant. Robbi says, “Yarrow is a sacred plant of ancient China, superbly representing the qualities of Yin and Yang – the masculine and the feminine…stabilizing polar opposites within the body” (Zeck 121). Robbi further states that Yarrow is useful during times of major life change when emotional equilibrium needs greater support.
Next time you are feeling at odds with yourself and everyone around you, try a drop of Yarrow in your favorite carrier oil. We love this oil for it’s cooling and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also very useful for muscle spasms, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, and gas.
Some other remarkable therapeutic properties of Yarrow:
Emotionally uplifting and healing for the nervous system, Yarrow essential oil is a beautiful blue color with a camphoraceous and herbaceous aroma. Strong and gentle, yin and yang, masculine and feminine, I consider this one of the most important oils in our oil collection!
- Antiallergenic – helpful for skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis
- Antidepressant – can help to prevent and alleviate depression
- Anti-inflammatory – alleviates inflammation, cooling
- Analgesic – numbs pain
- Antiseptic – assists in fighting germs/infections
- Antispasmodic – relieves spasms, cramps and spastic coughs
- Antiviral – assists in fighting viruses
- Cicatrisant – cell-regenerative for skin, healing for scars
- Decongestant – relieves chest congestion
- Tonic for the nervous system – for exhaustion and stress
Recipe: Tonic for the Nervous System
- 6 drops of Yarrow Oil (Achillea millefolium)
- 4 drops of Bergamot Oil (Citrus bergamia)
- 6 drops of Lime Oil (Citrus aurantifolia)
- 1 drop of Patchouli Oil (Pogostemom cablin)
- 1 oz. of Unscented Lotion
Directions: Add the essential oils to 1 oz. of unscented lotion and use when feeling the need for calmness and peace with yourself and your surroundings.
Questions or comments?! Please email us at: email@example.com!